I currently help out as an assistant coach. I started CrossFit in August of 2013 because of Groupon. At the time I had belonged to another gym and wasn’t really searching for anything new. After a few classes here at J5 I was hooked. I started off coming just a few days a week. Within a month or so I started to come daily. There is so much I have learned since I have started CrossFit. Even though I have learned a lot, I see daily there is so much more to learn. CrossFit isn’t like the traditional workouts. CrossFit changes daily, even weekly, and keeps your body guessing. I think this variety is what I needed. I have tried p90x, p90x2, insanity, and regular gym memberships and nothing has kept my interest like CrossFit. I never know what we are going to do that day until I see the posting.
Even though working out is great there is so much more here at J5. The community that has been built here is uplifting and positive. I no longer look at J5 as a gym, I feel like I am part of a family. Even if you don’t know what CrossFit is all about you will learn; we have some great coaches and great people who love helping others learn this sport.
Recently I have had the opportunity to compete in a few team competitions and one individual competition. The experience of being able to do this was unreal. I cannot explain how nervous, pumped, or exhausted I was. It truly was a great feeling. I hadn’t had a rush like that since I played softball and basketball in college. Competing has helped me want to learn more and train harder.
- Favorite thing about coaching?I love competing but I also love to come to the classes and help out. I have been able to meet a lot of members. I also get to see members grow at this sport. It is awesome to watch someone learn double unders, get their first pull up, or find success with a muscle up. I love the energy that different people bring when they workout. It has given me the drive to want to get in and do the workout with them.
- First CrossFit WOD & when? Conditioning Obstacle Course in Aug 13′
- Least Favorite Benchmark? Angie
- Favorite Benchmark? Karen
- Which CrossFit Movement is totally in your wheelhouse? My favorite CrossFit movement may be wall balls. I don’t really have a reason why I like them but I definitely don’t get upset when we have to do them.
- Favorite Cheat Meal? Hot Wings chased with Ice Cream
- Favorite Supplement? One of the supplements that I have grown to use and like is Progenex Force, it is a preworkout that tastes great and helps me get pumped on days that I need it.
- Favorite CrossFit Athlete? One of my favorite CrossFit athletes may have to be Stacie Tovar. I have had the chance to meet her twice and both times her personality and spirit did not disappoint. She is very personable and seems to value those that love the sport like she does.
- Advice to new CrossFit Athletes? Some advice that I would give to someone that is new to CrossFit is to be open minded. Try not to find yourself staring at the board and saying “I don’t know how to do this” or maybe look at the post the night before and decide not to show up. You will be amazed at what your body can do and how fast you may grow. Not only be open minded about the workout but be open minded about learning the movements correctly. You may think you already know how to do something but the coaches here at J5 are really good. They may be able to tweak the little things to help you move more weight, get you a handstand push- up, or get you moving faster on your pull ups. “The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your potential…these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence.” –Confucius
- If you could have one super power what would it be? Wolverine – power to regenerate!
- Tell us one thing about yourself not related to CrossFit? Favorite thing to do is tickle my daughter right before bedtime!!! As well as coaching my daughter in all the sports that she tries.
- Battle for Courage, Kevin Ogar Competition – Team – 2014 – Scaled
- D-Town Throwdown – Team – 2014 – Rx
- Beast of the Metro East 2014 – Individual – Rx