I have been involved in athletics for nearly my entire life. From park district league t-ball and soccer, to high school swimming, cross country and track to a college swimming career topped off with 4 consecutive conference championships, 13 All-American awards and my most proud athletic accomplishment, the 2008 NCAA Division II Team Runners-Up at Missouri University of Science & Technology, to completing a half-marathon and attempting to play basketball as a born klutz, I have sought out athletic challenges even before finding CrossFit.
I was introduced to CrossFit in April of 2012, when the only affiliate in the Metro East area was CrossFit Edwardsville, which at the time was working out either in a church gymnasium or in a nearby park. As I learned the basics and started competing, I developed an interest in the sport of weightlifting, eventually leaving CFE to train with Justin Thacker, a national-level weightlifter and owner of the well-regarded Lab Gym in St Louis. It was during this time that I received my CF-L1 certification and began coaching at J5. I currently coach the J5 early risers at 5:30 and continue to train in the sport of weightlifting in the corner of the gym during afternoon classes.
An engineer by training and career, I am very detail-oriented and technical in my coaching. I am most interested in refining movement to be as efficient as possible. I am not a loud or in-your-face coach, but prefer to move throughout the class giving individual cues and encouragement.
- Favorite thing about coaching? Giving that one seemingly small cue, watching the next lift and seeing the person’s eyes light up when they “get it.”
- First CrossFit WOD & when? April 21, 2012. Max deadlift (285#!), then 10 minute AMRAP of ascending rep deadlifts and handstand pushups (to a basketball).
- Least Favorite Benchmark? Right now? Any of them that take any conditioning at all 😛
- Favorite benchmark? Weightlifting Total of Snatch and Clean & Jerk
- Which CrossFit Movement is totally in your wheelhouse? I’m sure everybody wants me to say the snatch. But I’m going with anything involving jumping/leaping.
- Favorite Cheat Meal? Not in my vocabulary. I don’t believe in eliminating types of food to the point where a cheat meal is necessary.
- Favorite supplement?Melatonin. A hormone that promotes sleep and stress relief. Important when you’re training hard.
- Favorite CrossFit Athlete? Neal Maddox
- Advice to New CF Athlete? Take it slow. Learn to move right before you add speed or load.
- If you could have one super power what would it be? Flash-like speed
- Tell us one thing about yourself not related to CrossFit? I’ve been involved in music all my life. 12 years of piano, French horn and choir in school, trying to teach myself guitar and bass and first tenor in my church’s men’s choir now.